There comes a time when you require a device to help you glue items together. For this purpose, the best hot glue gun comes in handy. It is designed like a gun, and it makes use of power (either direct electricity or can be battery powered) to heat and dispense glue.
Glue sticks are attached at the end of the gun. Once plugged in, it takes a couple of minutes to heat the glue. The heated adhesive remains in the heater within the gun and glue oozes out of a nozzle when you pull a trigger. Some guns have a controller to let you regulate the amount of glue leaking out of the gun. There are guns which give you the option to attach a variety of nozzles for different uses and applications.
When working on DIY projects, art and craft projects, the best hot glue gun comes in handy. It is a versatile device which can be used in nearly all tasks which require glue to be used in the home, office or factory.
The glue can hold together a variety of items such as beads, paper, cards, fabric, metal, plastics, ceramics and more. For home maintenance, it is ideal for sealing cracks and enclosures and for minor home repairs like fixing drawers, loose hinges and more.
Best Hot Glue Guns 2017
We would like to review the following list of products for you to make a decision on which glue gun is best suited for you. We have a list of glue guns available on the market, suited for heavy duty use and home use.
|Model||Power Source||Working power|
|Black and Decker BDCGG20B||Battery-Powered||125W|
1. Ragnaros 60 Watt – Best Glue Gun for Arts and Crafts
The Ragnaros 60 watt is a hot glue gun ideal for arts and crafts, all your DIY projects and minor home repairs. It is a multipurpose device which can be used in your workshop and home; ideal for card making, DIY projects, holiday decorations, jewelry repair, minor toy repairs and minor household repairs. With its long 59-inch cable, you can make repairs around your home and workshop conveniently.
It has a high-quality copper nozzle. It is sturdy and hardy and can withstand wear and tear. You can expect the Ragnaros 60 watt glue gun to last for years to come. It is convenient; all you need to do is put the glue stick at the end of the gun, plug it in an electrical socket, wait 3-5 minutes, and it is ready for use.
It’s on and off switch makes it easy to start and can be used by just about anyone. With its temperature control feature, it controls and maintains heat at set temperatures. It maintains a high temperature for an extended period, making it easy and efficient to use.
You need not worry about overheating as it has an anti-heating cover which is thermally insulated. It has a LED indicator, and with its internal safety fuse, you can be sure that power is regulated and the gun can handle power surges, keeping you safe.
Upon purchase, you receive 30 gun sticks. With its strong adhesive qualities, the glue also protects your items and makes it easy to clean. It also comes with a manual with a set of instructions for easy use.
When in use, the nozzle and glue can get quite hot. It’s important to avoid touching both to avoid getting hurt. After working, some glue may ooze out which is normal, so place the nozzle on a heat resistant surface which won’t be damaged by the glue. Also note that when using the gun for the first time, it might smoke slightly which is normal and the gun will stop smoking after 10 minutes. Only replace glue sticks when it runs out entirely.
2. Blusmart 100 Watt – Best Hot Glue Guns for Crafts
The Blusmart 100w is an ideal for all your home and office projects. It can piece together a variety of materials such as glass, paper, fabric, plastics, and ceramics. 100W making it quite sturdy and takes between 3-5minutes to warm up before use. A cable of 140mm, the cable is quite flexible and doesn’t get in the way during use. Its design makes it sturdy, easy to hold and able to withstand wear. A tip which allows you to interchange the nozzles.
It has an on and off power indicator and comes with ten glue sticks. It can handle and withstand high temperature.
It is ideal when it comes to tasks concerning art, crafts, sewing, home improvement, DIY projects and for paper crafts.
When using the Bluesmart 100w gun, avoid using in a humid environment and keep away from children. Ensure the glue sticks remain clean to prevent any impurities from blocking the nozzle. If any glue stick is left in the gun, do not pull it out and use it until it runs out.
3. Ccbetter 20-watt – Best Glue Guns for Crafts
The Ccbetter 20 watt is the ideal choice when it comes to piecing together a broad range of items such as metal, plastics, glass and more. It can be used at home, in the office or at a factory. Ideal for scrapbooking, art and craft projects and minor home repairs. It heats up quickly, saving time and making it efficient. Easily maintains high temperature, making it a good choice for any job which requires high-temperature glue. It can handle high-temperature well without deforming the gun or any parts of the device.
Has an on and off switch with a LED light indicator. It also has a flexible and detachable support which keeps the gun upright and stable. This also allows you to use this gun at different angles, enhancing versatility.
4. Surebonder PR02-100 100-Watt – Best Industrial Glue Gun
When you are looking for a glue gun for your office or home, the Surebonder PR02-100 is a good choice. It has 100 watts of power making it sufficiently powerful. Has a high resistant insulated nozzle which prevents you from scalding. It has a silicon tip which can be interchanged with other nozzles. Uses 7/16 inch diameter glue sticks, and with its temperature heat controls, you can control the heat at which you can use the glue.
It is ideal for DIY projects like art, crafts, sewing, and paper crafts. Perfect for making repairs at home and in the office.
5. Black and Decker BDCGG20B – Best Cordless Hot Glue Gun
The Black and Decker BDCGG20B is a glue gun ideal for all your home, office, crafts and DIY projects. If you are looking for precision, then the Black and Decker BDCGG20B is what you require. It is a battery powered glue gun which comes with a precision nozzle which allows you to position the glue right where you need it. You can use this gun anywhere from your office, home or work shed without worrying about power. It has a 125W heater which lets you place long lines of glue quickly.
6. Surebonder PRO8000A 180-Watt – Best Glue Gun Crafts
The Surebonder PRO8000A is an 180-watt glue gun ideal for all you home and office improvement needs. It is powerful and dispenses a higher output of glue per minute. It can operate at temperatures of up to 380 degrees Fahrenheit. Has a heat resistant nozzle cover to stop glue from oozing to protect your hands and surfaces.
7. Surebonder PRO2-220 220 Watt – Best Hot Glue Guns for Woodworking
This is a heavy duty gun which is ideal for major projects and activities. It is a 220W glue gun which can handle high temperature ranging from 220° F to 420° F. It allows you to adjust the temperature according to your needs.
The gun has an on/off switch. It uses 7/16 diameter glue sticks. Has a double insulated cord and two protective heat resistant nozzle covers.
8. Surebonder Pro2-60KIT – Best Cordless Glue Gun
The Surebonder Pro2-60KIT is a battery powered, best cordless glue gun which you can use for all your DIY projects and home maintenance. It gives at least an hour of use wherever you go making it highly versatile. Has an on/off power light, has an ergonomic lightweight design and has a comfortable grip handle. It uses 7/16 inch diameter glue sticks and can reach high temperatures.
Best Hot Glue Guns – Buyer’s Guide
How to choose the best hot glue gun
When choosing the best hot glue gun, there are a number of qualities to consider before making your purchase. Most importantly, consider the tasks you would like to perform on a regular basis and the period of use.
Here are a few additional factors to consider
- Ergonomic and durable design – When looking for a glue gun, think about the design of the gun. Consider two important factors; the overall weight of the gun and the grip handle. It should be easy to hold and be light enough to use. If you are considering using a gun for long hours per day, look for one which is light in weight. Find a gun which allows you to use little effort in its trigger design to prevent hand fatigue.
- Durability – A glue gun should be robust and built to last. Look for one sturdily built to handle regular use. If looking for a gun which handles high temperatures, ensure that it remains cool to the touch in spite the high-temperature glue oozing out of the nozzle.
- Safety features – An on/off light indicator is a great safety feature. This is a good quality when you are working in a shed with lots of tools to avoid leaving the gun unattended for a long time to prevent fires. If choosing a battery powered glue gun, find one with indicators to show when it’s charging and when it’s fully charged.
- Metal stands – A metal stand enhances balance and stability so consider this quality when purchasing a glue gun
- Precision nozzle – When carrying out tasks that require high levels of accuracy, look for a glue gun with a nozzle which enhances precision.
- Allows for different types of nozzle – If carrying out various tasks then you might require different nozzles for the tasks at hand. Choose a gun which allows for interchangeable nozzles.
- Starting time – If you want to get started quickly, then a gun which heats up in a couple of minutes is ideal. Some battery powered glue guns take a while to charge so consider this before making your purchase.
- Versatility – If you plan to spend long hours working in a shed or at a fixed location then a corded glue gun would be suitable. If you are carrying out tasks in different places, you have two options. You can consider using a corded glue gun and extending the cable, or you can choose a battery-powered glue gun. A battery powered gun has limited operating time, so consider how many hours you will spend using a gun. For longer hours of use, electric, corded hot glue gun is more efficient.
- Glue flow – For home use, consider a glue gun of 100 wattages. This would be more than ideal for all your DIY projects and minor toy and home repair. For industrial purposes, then a gun with higher output per hour comes in handy. It can heat glue at higher temperatures and easily handle heavy use every day.
- Glue stick use – Most hot glue guns ideal for home and office use require standard glue sticks such as ½ and 7/16 inch diameter glue sticks. For industrial purposes, the guns can use a wider variety of glue sticks and may require longer glue sticks. Keep in mind that some guns use up more glue sticks than others so consider the efficiency of glue stick use before making your purchase.
Frequently asked questions
Why does it ooze even when I switch off the gun?
This happens due to inertia effect. Upon pulling the trigger, glue is pushed out of the nozzle. It takes some time for the glue pressure to ease up once switched off. This effect is typical and can be expected every time you use the gun.
Do all guns come with a stand?
Not all do. It is important to check the items contained when packing to find out whether the glue gun comes with a stand or not upon purchase.
Do all glue guns use standard glue sticks?
Most hot glue guns will use standard 7/6 inch diameter sticks. However, high-powered glue guns can function with a variety of glue sticks of different diameters and different lengths. Keep in mind that heavy duty glue guns work better with longer glue sticks.
Do all come with glue sticks?
Some hot glue guns come with glue sticks; others don’t. It’s important to check the product before purchase to find out what to expect when you make your purchase.
Safety measures to consider when using a hot glue gun
When you switch it on, ensure the nozzle is on a surface which can’t be damaged by glue since some glue might ooze out.
The nozzle can get very hot quickly, be careful where to place and point the nozzle.
If using a corded gun, be careful and watch where the cord is placed to avoid tripping over it.
Avoid touching the glue when in use since it can get quite hot.
After use, the nozzle will stay hot for a few minutes so avoid touching it with your bare hands.
How to take care of a hot glue gun
- Use glue sticks from a reputable company or whenever possible, buy glue sticks made from the gun manufacturer.
- Follow the manufacturers’ instructions when using the gun to ensure proper use.
- Keep the nozzle free from impurities and clean. Wipe it after use. If the glue is still hot, be sure to use safety gloves. If the glue has clogged the nozzle, it’s easy to resolve. Once the glue stick runs out, plug in the glue gun and the glue will run freely. Use aluminum foil to wipe it clean.
- If you find other parts of the gun have glue spots, take a piece of aluminum foil and use an iron box to heat it gently. Once the glue melts, use kitchen paper towels or a moist cloth to wipe it clean.
- Wrap the electric cable around the handle and use a rubber band to ensure it doesn’t tangle.
When choosing the best hot glue gun for you, there are a number of factors which can help you make an ideal decision. For your home and DIY projects, you can decide on one with average wattage, one with an interchangeable nozzle to make it versatile and easier to use. If you are looking for a gun to use around the home wherever you are, you can consider a battery powered cordless gun to allow you to move about conveniently. Look out for ease of use and how easily the glue flows from the gun. For industrial and heavy duty tasks, look for a gun which can handle high adhesive output, high temperature and added safety features. These qualities make a difference for everyday use.